Apply for a Short-term Rental Permit
Application period for NEW Short-term Rental permits opens October 1, 2022 at 8:30A.M. MDT.
- Complete the STR Permit Application Form for the desired permit type. Save the completed form as a PDF file. See below for application forms.
- Complete all the required supplemental documents for the desired permit type. Save the completed documents as PDF files. See below for supplemental documents.
- Attach the application form and all required supplemental documents as PDF files to a single email. Include the STR property address and the desired permit type in the email subject line (for example: “123 Main Street – Classic Permit”).
- Send the email to STRs@aspen.gov any time after 8:30AM MDT on October 1, 2022. Applicants will receive an automated email confirming receipt of their application.
- Applications will be reviewed by City staff within 15 days of the submission date. Upon confirmation of a complete, compliant application packet, staff will contact each applicant with instructions for next steps.
Important Rules for New Applications
Applications received before 8:30AM MDT on October 1, 2022 will not be reviewed. Send only one application email per Short-term Rental property; multiple emails will disqualify the property from the application process. All application forms and supplemental documents MUST be attached to the email as PDF files; links to files or other file formats will not be accepted. Completed Classic STR Permit (STR-C) applications will be waitlisted by the timestamp on the email received by aspen.gov; incomplete applications will not be entered into a waitlist. Renewal applications for valid 2022 STR permits are not yet available; do not apply through email if you have a valid 2022 permit.
STR Permit Application Forms
- appears to be an empty link with target /DocumentCenter/View/8865 Classic Permit Application Form (STR-C)
- appears to be an empty link with target /DocumentCenter/View/8867 Owner-Occupied Permit Application Form (STR-OO)
- appears to be an empty link with target /DocumentCenter/View/8866 Lodging Exempt Permit Application Form (STR-LE)
Required Supplemental Documents
- appears to be an empty link with target /DocumentCenter/View/8861 Self-Inspection Checklist and Affidavit
- appears to be an empty link with target /DocumentCenter/View/8856 HOA Compliance Form and HOA Letter of Approval
- appears to be an empty link with target /DocumentCenter/View/8859 Lodging Exempt Form
- appears to be an empty link with target /DocumentCenter/View/8860 Public Notice Affidavit
If you have other questions about the application process or permit requirements, please consult the appears to be an empty link with target /DocumentCenter/View/8863 STR Program Guidelines on the appears to be an empty link with target http://www.aspen.gov/STRs STR homepage.
Application period for RENEWAL of 2022 STR permits will open November-December, 2022.
Valid 2022 permits (applied for prior to December 8, 2021) expire on and must be renewed by December 31, 2022 to remain valid for 2023. Staff are not yet accepting renewal applications; 2022 STR permit holders will be notified through MUNIRevs in advance of the opening of the renewal period.
You may also subscribe to the Community Development Update e-newsletter to be notified when the application period for renewal permits is approaching.