Contractor Licenses issued by the City of Aspen Building Department are valid jointly in Aspen and Pitkin County. These are issued separately from your Business License, both of which are required. Prior to applying for or renewing your Contractor License you must first have a valid BEST Card or other valid certification.
Apply for or Renew a Contractor License
- GET REGISTERED
We now process contractor license applications via our new permitting system applicant portal. Please click here and fill out the registration questionnaire. Someone will create an account for you (within 1 to 2 business days) and have the system send an email with the subject line “Welcome to the Applicant Portal!”.
Please follow the link in the email to set a password and log into the portal. Note: The link will expire in 72 hours. If you miss the window, please contact email@example.com. If you don't receive the email or have any issues logging into the system, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 970-920-5065.
- START AN APPLICATION
Once logged into the Applicant Portal, you will create an application to apply for a Certification and then you can apply for a Contractor’s License.
- REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
You will need to upload the following documents as part of your application process.
- Completed Affidavit of Insurance - Click Here to Open Form
- Every contractor must maintain at all times, employee and public liability insurance with a minimum limit of not less than $500,000 for one person and $1,000,000 for any one accident, and property damage insurance with a minimum limit of not less than $300,000 for any one accident.
- If this insurance expires, the contractor license is null and void.
The City of Aspen no longer accepts certificates of insurance, please submit the correct affidavit listed above.
Both affidavits listed above need to be notarized if not signed in our offices.
3. Proof of lawful presence in the United States, e.g, a valid driver's license, in compliance with State HB 1023.
4. Photocopy of both sides of your current BEST card or other applicable state license.
Contractor licenses are processed within 2 business days. Once your license application is approved, you will receive an email notification in order to make payment (if needed).
Types of Licenses
The type of contractor licenses or registrations you need depend on your roles and responsibilities on a project. These licenses are valid in both Aspen and Pitkin County. Contractor license descriptions can be found here.
Homeowners that are undertaking their own contractor work are exempt from the licensing process, but they still must adhere to the Homeowner/Builder Requirements.