Contractor Licenses issued by the City of Aspen Building Department are valid jointly in Aspen and Pitkin County. These are issued separately from your Business License, both of which are required. Prior to applying for or renewing your Contractor License you must first have a valid BEST Card or other valid certification.
Apply for or Renew a Contractor License
In order to apply for/renew a contractor license, you will need to be registered on the applicant portal. Click here to begin the registration process. You will receive a confirmation email once you are registered asking you to set your password. If you need assistance, please contact email@example.com or 970-920-5065.
You will need to upload the following documents as part of your application process.
- Completed Affidavit of Insurance
- Every contractor must maintain at all times, employee and public liability insurance with a minimum limit of not less than $500,000 for one person and $1,000,000 for any one accident, and property damage insurance with a minimum limit of not less than $300,000 for any one accident.
- If this insurance expires, the contractor license is null and void.
- Completed Affidavit of Lawful Presence in the United States
- Proof of lawful presence in the United States, e.g. a valid driver's license, in compliance with state HB 1023.
- Photocopy of both sides of your current BEST card or other applicable state license.
- Once your license application is approved, you will receive an email notification in order to make payment.
Types of Licenses
The type of contractor licenses or registrations you need depend on your roles and responsibilities on a project. These licenses are valid in both Aspen and Pitkin County. Contractor license descriptions can be found here.
Homeowners that are undertaking their own contractor work are exempt from the licensing process, but they still must adhere to the Homeowner/Builder Requirements.