Rio Grande Recycle Center
- Free drop off for cardboard (and other recyclables) at the Pitkin County Landfill.
- Single Stream recycling, which includes cardboard, is part of your curbside trash service. Contact your trash hauler for more information.
- Budget cuts brought on by Covid-19 have required this change at the Recycle Center.
Recycling Guidelines during Covid-19
- Do Not Recycle any items that have been in contact with a sick person’s mouth, nose or eyes (with any illness) such as:
- beverage bottles and cans
- food containers and cartons
- Put these items in a bag and in the trash and then wash your hands.
- Please refer to the CDC guidelines for specific recommendations on waste disposal in households with people exhibiting symptoms of Covid-19.
Recycling at Rio Grande Recycle Center
- The center ONLY accepts:
- Glass bottles
- Grass and Leaves in the Yard Waste bin only (No branches, brush or trees. These must be taken to the landfill)
- Cardboard, plastics and paper are NOT accepted. These may be taken to your home or business recycling or the Pitkin County landfill. All home and business recycling is Single Stream recycling.
- Single Stream recycling (including plastics, magazines, newspaper, and office paper) is available to all City of Aspen and Pitkin County residents through one of our local waste haulers.
How to Recycle in Aspen Video
- No food or trash may be left at the RGRC in order to protect bears and other wildlife. Violators may be subject to fines and penalties.
- Rinse your recycling before depositing at the RGRC.
Rules for Use of Rio Grande Recycle Center
- Acceptable Recycling Materials (listed above) can be dropped off free of charge during daylight hours every day of the year.
- Disposal of items including food and trash could be subject to fines and penalties.
- No Christmas trees are accepted March through November.
Pitkin County Landfill
Single stream recycling, electronics, household waste, paint, fluorescent bulbs, and bulky materials that cannot be left at the Rio Grande Recycle Center may be taken to the Pitkin County Landfill.
- Naked Christmas Trees(no decorations or lights on trees) from mid December through February 14 in tree corral area.
- No Wreaths and No Garlands
- Learn more about the City’s Christmas Tree Composting Program with this videohttps://youtu.be/JPJVLyZZMhs