Opening A New Retail Food Establishment
If you are interested in opening a new retail food establishment, you will need to fill out a Restaurant Plan Review (PDF) to be approved by the Environmental Health and Sustainability Department. Please contact Nick Trautner at 970-920-5075 for more information about the approval process.
Retail Food Establishments
We provide the following services for retail food establishments within the City of Aspen to ensure compliance with state laws and regulations:
- Licensing, inspecting, technical expertise, and training to restaurants, grocery stores, delis, and mobile food units
- Participation in food borne illness investigations associated with licensed and inspected facilities
- Plan reviews, inspection, and approval of all new or extensively remodeled food establishments
- Food safety training classes to ensure a basic knowledge of the key issues that are associated with safe food handling and food borne illness Investigating complaints of food borne illnesses.
Food Borne Illness
If you wish to report a suspected food borne illness, please call 970-920-5075 and be prepared to provide the following information:
- Your name
- Telephone number where you can be reached during work hours
- The name of the food service establishment implicated
- Information about your symptoms
- A detailed 72-hour food history
Food at Special Events
If you have a current Colorado Retail Food Service License and would like to participate at a Special Event within the City of Aspen, you will need to submit the Temporary Food Service Application (PDF) at least two weeks before the event will take place.