City Offices Construction Update for April 1, 2019
The following project update will be a routine announcement regarding activities, impacts and progress for the new City Offices construction. You can also find all maps and content at www.cityofaspen.com/newcityoffices
- Salvage and deconstruction of the old ACRA building is complete.
- Phase II right-of-way utility work including new and upgraded infrastructure is underway and will be ongoing until early June.
- Expect construction equipment in the area. Utility work will be occurring on Rio Grande Place.
- Rio Grande Pl. is closed from N. Mill St. to west of the Rio Grande parking garage entrance (north entrance) on Rio Grande Pl. Access to the parking garage will remain open via N. Mill Street (west entrance) and via N. Spring Street to Rio Grande Pl. (north entrance). This section of road is expected to remain closed 24/7 throughout April.
- Beginning in May, the Rio Grande Pl. street closure will be shifted east and will be closed from the east side of the parking garage entrance to Founders Place (east of Tasters Pizza).
- All street parking along Rio Grande Pl. within the road closure area is closed and will remain closed through the beginning of June. Expect periodic parking closures in several spaces in the Rio Grande Parking Garage during phase II construction.
- At this time no full closures of the parking garage or its north entrance are scheduled. However, based on site conditions, there may be periodic full closures of the parking garage. Any closure to the parking garage will be noticed in advance.
Bus, Pedestrian and Bicyclist Impacts:
- The Galena Shuttle bus stop located on Rio Grande Pl. outside of the parking garage has been relocated to the library plaza at the intersection of Galena St. and the alley. Service is continued per its regular schedule.
- The Aspen School District bus stop on Rio Grande Pl. will be relocated to N. Mill Street at the N. Mill Street crosswalk between Clark’s Market and Rio Grande Park.
- The crosswalk at the west entrance to Rio Grande Pl. and the south sidewalk adjacent to the road closure are closed, please follow detour signage. The north sidewalk (on the Rio Grande Park side) remains open.
- Recreation access to Rio Grande Field and Park is available via the south east side of the park (near the skate park) on Rio Grande Pl. via N. Spring St. Alternative transportation (walking, biking and carpooling) is recommended. The first 20 minutes of parking in the Rio Grande Garage is free and is available as an alternative drop-off/pick-up location.